naming the next major release

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 11:35:27 UTC 2013

On Friday 30 August 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> Without KDE being a brand with value, we lose one of the larger reasons to
> add your project to the KDE galaxy of products.
>
> We need to move “KDE” into the direction of being our “Toyota” or “Sony”.
> Just because there is a Toyota Camry does not mean that Toyota only makes
> Camrys. Just because there is a Sony Bravia doesn’t mean they only make
> televisions with the Bravia brand.

agreed.
there are other open source projects that tried to do a similar thing (altough
not exactly the same) apache and mozilla come to my mind.

with varying degrees of success, probably for the same reason. in the case of
mozilla firefox pretty much eclipses all the other mozilla projects, in the
case of apache the http server still eclipses any other apache project, so it
keeps being "the" apache...

in KDE we are probably in a better position, since we have several big
projects that can be instantly positioned as different products, like plasma,
calligra, kdevelop.. under an umbrella brand (and probably is already
happening, slowly)

The one thing that i would really love to get away with tough is replacng the
conception of "for" KDE (and therefore unusable everywhere else as "KDE" was a
different operating system altogether) with "by" KDE

Cheers,
Marco Martin