My first plasmoid

Niclas Ekstedt nekstedt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 21:40:06 UTC 2013

I'm a total newbie when it comes to developing for KDE. I've done som
coding mostly in Python in the past and to some extent in javascript.

I have this idea for a plasmoid that I would like to start out with. What I
want to achieve is a basic plasmoid MailBoxBiff, sitting in the system
tray, only to become visible (like the software updater icon) whenever a
mail is delivered to my local mbox.
Once that's done I can enhance it to actually work like KDE wrapper for the
'mail' command. Allowing me to read and work with my emails through a very
basic mail reader.

I've read the http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma and have
understood as
much as QML and javascript is the recommended way to go. I'd like to think
that it would
be possible to do what I want with just QML and javascript or maybe even
with just QML.

I'm thinking that perhaps using akonadi as a datasource I could avoid
having to write quite a lot of code.

So what do you guys think. Would this be possible to do? And are there any
examples available that would help me along?

Thanks guys.