naming the next major release

Daniel Nicoletti dantti12 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 18:58:03 UTC 2013

2013/8/21 Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org>:
> On Wednesday 21 August 2013 13:52:06 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
>> 2013/8/21 Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org>:
>> > On Wednesday 21 August 2013 11:29:52 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
>> > this might change. Consider Razor/LXDE joining the KDE umbrella. What
>> > then?
>> > From one day to another it would be obvious that using "the KDE desktop"
>> > is
>> > not working any more.
>>
>> In that case what we will end up is with just KDE libraries? I mean
>> people are used to "install/use KDE" which means the SC.
> no?!? I fail to see what you want to tell us, I cannot follow your thought. I
> guess it's based on you still think that KDE is not the community but all the
> software we tend to release once half a year.
Sorry if it's hard to understand, so I'll try to put it into another way:
* First I just wanted to say that I prefer Plasma 2 instead of 5, because it
   helps understanding the age and we have lots of other KDE components
   with different versions than 5.

* Second I'm saying that KDE is also the software because we do release a
   KDE Software Compilation which has the KDE name.

* I know we don't market the KDE desktop anymore, all the blog posts
   around KDE still talk about it as a DE. Lots of friends that use KDE SC
   don't even know what is plasma-desktop because for them it's KDE.

For example what happens if I want my own shell (no I didn't write one :P )
on the KDE SC?

The KDE community has to decide which will be the included, since plasma
got there first there isn't much chance for a replacement, then better
do like Razor.

I'm not against the KDE renaming, but I think we are getting
to a point that having an Software Compilation becomes a
problem. If Razor is now a KDE project they why only plasma
is included?

About print-manager the user can see it's version using the
about module of system-settings, but since KDE does the
branching/tagging it's easier to just rely on the KDE version,
the 0.3 vesion is something useless when on SC. But to me
as a developer tells me how much I change it, and since it's
mostly complete 4.10 has 0.3 and 4.11 has 0.3 because
most commits where just bugfixes. Also dpkg -l print-manager
shows the KDE SC version (so it does for dolphin).

PS I don't care much what plasma does as I'm mostly a user
of plasma shell and API, but as a user I just felt that jumping
into 5 just because the KDE FW is at 5 seems wrong, as after
all KDE is just the community.