[RFC] Port PlasmaComponents to use QtQuick Controls where applicable

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 20:31:24 UTC 2013

On Monday 19 August 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> no matter how wonderful it is to have a single shared implementation
> upstream so we don’t have to do anything but implement applications, we
> have to hit the three points above.
>
> in the end API, stability and device spectrum are what matters to 3rd party
> developers and our users.

There are some components that have very minimal change, unfortunately in many
plasces there is a very small detail (like icon and iconName vs iconSource)
that makes it not zero effort.
Some other are more different, like PageStack got renamed in StackView (but
behaviourally seems pretty much untouched)

As I said, they are probably in the long term the way to go, should be
possible quite some personalization per se, and if not enough the whole single
component can still be replaced with a different implementation like we do
now.

The catch is also that i would really like to see how much lie is the cake
this time (we jumped on promising unfinished technologies by qt several times
already, and not always ended up very well, remember)

* is to be tried, for sure, and see if some of the components can be replaced
with an implementation that is completely drop in.

* adapting api may be an option, depends how much we want or can suffer (we
have quite on our plate...)

* plasma style for qtquickcontrols has to be done anyways, since they can be
used (well, technically at least) from plasmoids and people will use them (i
guess in the future they may have more widgets, maybe some that we don't have
in plasmacomponents, so they should play nice together)

--
Marco Martin