[RFC] Port PlasmaComponents to use QtQuick Controls where applicable

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 19 19:32:24 UTC 2013

On Monday, August 19, 2013 01:05:50 David Edmundson wrote:
> After discussions with a few people, I decided for an experiment to port
> PlasmaComponents Button to use QtQuickControls [1] internally but use the
> styles API [2] to make it look like the original PlasmaComponents button.

the things such a change must deliver imo to be considered for mainline are:

* near zero changes to API and behaviour. if we have to port QML code we or
others have already written .. that’s a deal breaker.

* stability. we can not do a release of PW2 that is visibly less stable or
more buggy than what we have right now. that will be a disaster. the 5.x
releases *must* come out shining or we squander huge opportunities that hinge
on stability.

* remain usable across the device spectrum. if we end up with 50% of the code
but have UIs that are useless outside the desktop, we lose. put another way:
we need to make sure we’re not hitching Plasma Components to the QML
equivalent of QWidget.

no matter how wonderful it is to have a single shared implementation upstream
so we don’t have to do anything but implement applications, we have to hit the
three points above.

in the end API, stability and device spectrum are what matters to 3rd party
developers and our users.