Use user wallpaper for dm, splashscreen and locksreen

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Apr 27 12:35:48 UTC 2013

On Saturday 27 April 2013 14:09:32 Davide Bettio wrote:
> Hello,
>
> During boot process background is changed several times, to avoid this
> I think that current activity wallpaper should be used as  background
> for display manager, splashscreen and lockscreen.
> To get this feature working we just need to save current wallpaper to
> a configuration file every time current activity is changed.
>
> Any comment?
I think we discussed this situation at the sprint last week and decided
against it.

The idea to use the configured wallpaper falls short in a few ways:
* It can only work with image, but not with animated, marble or whatever
wallpaper plugin
* it cannot handle the multi screen case.
* we would need to know the activity before kactivity manager is started.
Especially the login manager cannot know which user will log in, before the
user logged in.

One of the ideas discussed at the sprint was to define a global theme package
which is used by all themable elements such as login manager, splash screen,
etc. etc. This would ensure that all our elements are consistent. What is
currently still missing would be a plymouth theme being shipped directly by us
(best would be a ).

Cheers
Martin