Menu branch

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Apr 18 07:10:51 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 17 April 2013 22:20:26 Ignat Semenov wrote:
> - setCurrentItem() - which one did you like better, monolithic
> setCurrentItem(), find() and then set() depending on find(), or the last
> one with set() being unnecessary? For me, it's usually "code what to do not
> how", but this time I was not sure if it was just too much auxiliary code.

The monolithic one. While I agree that the naming is a bit unfortu-
nate, as mentioned it had the advantage that the failure mode was
a no-op (no match, no call) instead of setting the combo boxes'
current index to -1 (and thus presumably unsetting the current
item, or worse crashing if QComboBox doesn't do any bounds checking).

> - int(FolderViev::Unsorted) is a hack around the fact the sorting column is
> not homogenuous. 4 of them are enum KDirModel::(something), 1 is
> FV::Unsorted. Hence there is no way to have a real typed enum bracing them
> all in there. All the others, which you should have noticed, are enums with
> qvariant's since that gives you compiler warnings and errors in case you
> mess up - a nice thing imho :)

I just thought to mention that C++11, once we can depend on it, would
allow you to do this:

enum Foo : unsigned int { ... };

... that forces the compiler to use unsigned int as the integral type
used for the enumeration (which is otherwise left up to the implemen-
tation, but usually an int anyway) and thus makes it superfluous to
surround every mention of FolderView::Unsorted with int().

> Thank you for the advice!
>
> Best regards,
> Ignat Semenov

Cheers,