Menu branch

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Wed Apr 17 12:07:58 UTC 2013

Hi,

the branch generally looks OK to me, however:

- Display -> Icons in the config dialog is getting to be pretty
  messy; with that abundance of options it might make sense to
  split things into group boxes for Arrangement (flow, grid,
  lock) and Sorting (role, direction, folders first) to avoid e.g.
  role and folders first being seven items removed from each other
  despite being topically closely linked.

- It might be my tiredness and the still-lingering cold, but it
  took me an embarassingly long time to wrap my brain around the
  entries in the flow combo - I think expecting users to get an
  ordered list of sort factors like those variants of "Left to
  Right, Top to Bottom" is a bit of a tall order. Since there are
  no Bottom to Top variants anyway, it might more easily build a
  mental picture to speak of Rows vs. Columns and Alignment, i.e.:

  Layout: [Rows | Columns]
  Align: [Left | Right]

  ... yes, that makes for _even more options_, but from pro-
  gressive disclosure POV and how users presumably approach the
  problem, it hopefully makes more sense. I.e. I doubt there are
  going to be many users who intuitively go "I want it to place
  the icons top to bottom first, and then right to left!" (that's
  just how the code goes about it :), they are more likely to go
  "I kind of want rows, not columns."

  Take that as a brainstorm tho, this is one of these things you
  can overthink to death ....

- I liked your original setCurrentItem() helper better than the
  solution you wound up with, which ends up attempting to set a
  QComboBoxes' currentIndex to -1 in the failure case instead
  of just leaving it alone.

- Fun fact: All that int(FolderView::Foo) everywhere can go with
  C++11 strongly typed enumerations, allowing you to explicitly
  inherit an enum from int or uint ...

Cheers,
Eike