Plasma Wallpapers in QML

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 14:01:24 UTC 2012

On Friday 28 September 2012, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 13 September 2012, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > What I did was to create a very very simple plugin (~40 sloc) that
> > lets you easily specify a wallpaper given a QML url. Now it's
> > hardcoded, and we should find a way to pass it (maybe through the
> > QVariantList args?) so that a wallpaper is just the desktop file, or
> > maybe something completely different. :)
>
> I'm happy it's merged ;)
> only two things still bothering me a bit that should be at least discussed:
> i think wallpapers shouldn't be installed in apps/plasma/packages but have
> their own directory and their desktop files not installed under services

i tried to do a wallpaper (called haenau) in the style of the "typical"
default kde wallpaper that  is just some simple svg shapes that are every 30
seconds gien a random opacity and z order, animation is very subtle (as it
should always be) and the changes of the wallpaper are barely noticeable
http://wstaw.org/m/2012/09/29/plasmoidviewerP13038.png

even tough the qml file stays inactive for most of the time and in qmlviewer
usually takes 0% cpu when loaded in plasma always takes some cpu, so is
probably doing still some unnecessary repaints

Cheers,
Marco Martin