System tray

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 18 11:51:01 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 08:12:37 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
> 2012/9/18 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> > On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:58:32 Marco Martin wrote:
> >> - for the popup as just icons: not overly strong opinion, but I tend to
> >> prefer using text as well.
> >
> > agreed. it makes it clearer what each icon is, but also gives a much
> > bigger
> > hit area and allows them to be easily scanned (a grid is difficult for
> > many to scan quickly).
>
> Would it be hard to add an option to instead of a popup expand
> the plasmoid and show the remaining icons?

It would be easy to do, but easy is not always a measure of goodness. These
kinds of options quickly pile up and making maintenance of the code much,
much, much harder while simultaneously making the software vastly less
enjoyable to use for most people (many of whom decide not to use KDE software
as a result, I might add). This has been our general policy from the start,
and it means we have options that tend to have more value.

So, no .. :)

> I really dislike the popup expecially because when I click on a plasmoid
> there it opens in the middle of the screen, and not close to the panel.

That would not be resolved by the option you describe. (And even if it did we
don't pretend to fix bugs by working around them .. we fix them. :)

Where to open a popup is indeed tricky. Marco's suggestion is the best one,
though as he notes that is not easy to achieve in the current architecture.

What makes the problem very visible is that when a popup is shown, the system
tray popup hides. What would perhaps be better is if when an applet is clicked
and it shows its popup that it shows the popup to the left/right and the
system tray popup is not itself hidden. This may be able to be made to work by
having the form factor to always be vertical for applets in the popup; some
work on the popup position code may also be necessary to ensure there isn't
ugly overlap between the popups.