IRC meeting summary

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 11:08:04 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 12 September 2012, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> Damn... I missed it.
>
> A.S. We still have two mailing lists that we use for the same thing?
>
> > qml desktop containment would be great too
>
> The first thing I'd like (with my designer hat on) is to be able to, when
> snapping applets to one another (sebas mentioned it), the snapped applets
> would get a shared background, with a horizontal/vertical line separating
> them)
>
> I see that the no-radical-changes policy was accepted, but I think we
> should, at some point (not necessarily for 4.10), go for a more sane way
> of resizing applets than the current one. Soon to be released E17 comes to
> mind.

idea not bad, it can be a bit tricky (what if the applets have a different
size? how the handles would work? when to split again?)

that makes me even more convinced that for qml containments both the applet
background and the handle have to be provided by the containment itself (some
semi public components may be provided to avoid rewriting over and over but is
for sure something out of libplasma and Applet)

> > * Sho is working on a taskbar replacement
>
> Don't know whether this was mentioned (didn't see it in the log), the tasks
> could, in the popup, have a list of the highest scored documents that the
> user opened with that app. (any SLC-enabled application will have it).

what was mentioned is some sort of jumplist, recent documents for tasks, so
slc naturally comes to mind for that

> > Activity management
>
> One (IMO) really important thing that both p-d and p-a are missing is that
> it is easy to lose a window in some VD on some activity. The activity
> switcher needs to display a list of windows that belong to a certain
> activity (either in a popup like the pager applet does for VDs, or in some
> other way)

yep.
any ui idea for that?

> I think the first things to add is loading KIPI modules for images, and
> klapetek's socialfeed sharing.
>
> > * getting more applications using it
>
> First of all, we can forget the kdelibs patch that PA uses. So, no
> automatic support of kpart-based applications.

could that instead be merged in frameworks 5 then backported? would make less
of a problem..

> Currently, there are only a few applications that support SLC - dolphin,
> gvim and Active apps. Tomaz Canabrava got some students to write support
> for simple apps like kwrite, okteta and ark.
>
> If there's nobody willing to do it instead, I'll patch okular, and some
> others. These are really junior jobs.
>
> Sebastian Sauer presented me with an idea that it /might/ be possible to
> use accessibility interfaces to detect the information we need for
> kamd/slc. This needs investigating for which I need to find the time (so,
> not for 4.10). If it turns out to be usable, this would cover many 3rd
> party applications that we can not patch.

this sounds really interesting

Cheers,
Marco Martin