Microblog port to Akonadi pushed into a branch

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 17:23:46 UTC 2012

Hey all,

I've just pushed my port of Microblog declarative plasmoid in a branch -
mklapetek/akonadi_port (kde:declarative-plasmoids). Setting this up needs
kdepim-libs from master, kde:libkfacebook (currently in kdereview),
kdepim-runtime from master with this[1] patch, SocialFeed qml plugin from
kde:scratch/mklapetek/socialfeed and this Microblog branch. If you want to
try microblog too, you can get the new microblog resource from
kde:scratch/mklapetek/akonadi-microblog-ng - I'm not aiming to have the
microblog-ng resource in 4.10 though, but it might be finished by then and
just released separately.

It's not yet finished, but it's fairly usable already. Here is what works:
 * listing stuff
    * facebook goes 3 days back (limit 400 posts) with number of likes and
comments
    * microblog for now goes 20 posts only
 * displaying facebook comments by clicking on the status (probably needs
better discoverability)
 * posting to networks

Issues:
 * the scrollbar is baaad, unusable even (because of the non-uniform
delegate height), not sure what to do about it
 * when using mouse wheel to scroll, sometimes it just stops scrolling and
you have to either scroll the wheel /really/ fast or drag the list, I'm
unsure why that happens, I suspect it's the item snapping to the list edge,
but I don't understand qml that deeply to see how it works exactly
 * sometimes the plasmoid can get really really slow or even freeze when
scrolling very fast as it tries to fetch all the avatars and post images,
this might need some optimizations
 * actions on posts do not currently work (liking, replying and sharing),
I'll try to have them working for 4.10, in the worst case, we can have just
"read-only" version shipped (if we're going to ship it by default) and just
hide those buttons
 * the replies view needs scrollbar, easy, just sort of forgot about it
 * sometimes the facebook post is just empty (no text, no pic), that's just
facebook api being stupid and I need to fix it in the resource
 * refreshing the list pushes garbage/no data into qml, I'm not yet sure
where this problem originates, simple reloading of the applet fixes it
 * clicking the status fetches all the comments, but the list is not
updated (even though the model emits dataChanged)
 * there's no user info yet, but the facebook contacts are in Akonadi, so
should be easy to just fetch the info and display it
 * there's still some code that's unneeded, will be removed
 * post times do not get updated, I'm not sure how to refresh the post
times in the whole model

I'll be more than glad if anyone can help with any of the issues :) Feel
free to hack directly on the branch to make it more awesome. Or just
awesome.

[1] - https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/107021/

Cheers
--