plans for Plasma Desktop default containment in QML

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Oct 24 11:19:28 UTC 2012

On Monday, October 22, 2012 13:33:45 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> My overall thinking is that I'd like the infrastructural work to be complete
> for the 4.10 release (which seems achievable to me if we don't run into
> architectural problems) so that Plasma 4.10 brings everything needed to run
> full-featured QML containments. We can then invite users to try the new
> default containment, give us feedback and give it a couple of iterations
> until perfection. (As the new containment is a pure QML package, our group
> of testers is not limited to those being able to wield a compiler.)
>
> You can find the code in kde-workspace's plasma/sebas/desktop-qml branch,
> you'll also need kde-runtime's plasma/sebas/desktop-qml branch for the
> bindings extensions and bugfixes that are still in process of being merged.
> Be aware that it's really work-in-progress and that anything could change,
> anytime. I'm concentrating on getting the toolbox to work in all aspects,
> then will likely move to the Applethandle.

After a little huddle on IRC with Marco and Aaron, we've come up with the
following strategy for handling actions in context menu and toolbox:

- new import org.kde.plasma.containments in kde-runtime
- new AbstractContainment class exported to QML
    - exposes actions as properties: contextualActions, toolBoxActions
    - actions come from Corona, Containment, ToolBox and ContainmentActions
and are sorted, filtered by their kind
- toolbox uses action from Containment.toolBoxActions and is otherwise it's an
implementation detail
- context menu uses contextualActions() (but is handled in Corona right now,
so will stay as-is)

I'm hacking on implementing this.

sebas