SystemTray: QML version #2

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 17:36:43 UTC 2012

On Monday 15 October 2012, Dmitry Ashkadov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm working on QML implementation of system tray (branch
> plasma/dmitrya/systemtray-qml of kde-workspace).

i gave it a try and seems to work quite well (didn't understand immediately if
it was the new one or still the old, and that's really a good sign;)
in general, seems really well done ;)

just a couple of little annoyances i found while trying:

as aaron also noted, if the text is very large seems it can go out of
boundaries (seen in http://wstaw.org/m/2012/10/15/plasma-desktopO28633.png),
probably the popup should expand until a certain width in characters, and then
elide the entries text if they are really too long.

also from the same shot, the highlight seems to be a little attached to the
icons, it should be a bit bigger than the entries to allow margins (of
framesvg.margins.left/.top etc)

last thing, when an entry is removed from the popup (with quit from context
menu for instance) the dialog gets oddly resized
http://wstaw.org/m/2012/10/15/plasma-desktopr28633.png

it's in part due to old problems in the Dialog component (should use something
different from what's in libplasma probably) but if it automatically moved to
the new popupPosition() after resize the problem both in size and position
should go away.

it should probably be a popupapplet again,  so this would be done for free,
sounds a bit troublesome since would mean basically two root objects tough,
hmm.... is probably something to attempt after is merged, if the resize issue
can be fixed in another way

Cheers,
Marco Martin