Screen Locking for 4.10

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 14:52:20 UTC 2012

On Thursday 04 October 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > - Then we have Screen Savers where I have Random and just Black Screen
> > (I think Black is simple enough...). Do we have other "Screen Savers"?
>
> lots, but you need to install the package. personally, i'd love to see the
> xscreensavers die and go away, replaced with QML fun.

since i think if a change is possible to make it a bit more gradual may be
accepted better, i think a good idea may be

the current status/plugins are fine for 4.10, so default on the simple one
with plasma widgets and xscreensavers option
actually, if all crash issues are solved, there are no real regressions from
4.9, even if there is no default wallpaper (old screenlocker had just a dull
black background when no screensaver was running)

then see if is possible make the plasma widget version default (needs ui
improvements + hard numbers on how is actually more memory intensive, or
slower startup time)

in the meantime (one/two releases) there will be more qml wallpapers, so much
to be just used as an animated screensaver if someone wants to ;)

so we can have the target of completely removing xscreensaver support in 2
releases or so, and have only one greeter binary, that would be plasma-overlay
(on active too) if feasible.

how does it sound?
anybody who wish to make this happen?

Cheers,