Display Configuration KCM design review

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Fri Oct 5 08:03:38 UTC 2012

Le jeudi 4 octobre 2012 14:44:40 Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> On Thursday, October 4, 2012 14:01:04 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > Yes, that happens to me when I use my laptop with an external monitor: the
> > bottom of the two screens do not line up,
>
> in which case does one NOT want the bottoms to line up?

What I am describing is the case where the physical bottom edges of the
screens are not aligned. This is my usecase:

The distance between the bottom of the screen of my laptop and the table it
stands on is 5 cm. The distance between the bottom of the screen of my monitor
and the table is 9 cm. I want my mouse cursor to go from one screen to another
without jumping up and down, and windows in between to not look fractured. I
can either:

1. Insert 4 cm of books between laptop and table until the physical bottom
edges of both screens are aligned.

2. Adjust the offset of one of the screens in the KCM.

I much prefer solution 2 (what if I need one of the books under the laptop?).

I like to think the goal of this KCM is to make the computer aware of the
physical layout of my screens, and being able to tell it screen A is a bit
lower than screen B matches with this idea.

Aurélien