Screen Locking for 4.10

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 4 17:00:23 UTC 2012

On Thursday, October 4, 2012 17:20:40 Aleix Pol wrote:
> - We can set an option to "Start Automatically after x seconds". I
> have a feeling that tells me that this should depend on the Power
> Settings Plasmoid

there's very little correlation between power settings and locking the screen;
one is about power usage (particularly for battery powered devices) and the
other is about security and perhaps aesthetics

> In any case we don't want to get our screen locked from the
> "Presentation" activity.

yes, would be nice to have a similar approach as seen in the power management
settings.

and i share the concern that if we do this in N different places, one will have
to configure activities all over the place! would be nice if we could have one
Activity customization UI that gave you an overview of all such triggered-by-
activity configuration options?

they would need to also be available from the individual areas (networking,
powermanagement, etc) so one can directly go from "the thing that isn't
correct" (e.g. my networking) to the solution, rather than having to back up,
go to the central application and search through there for networking (which
is where you already were! :) ... which is much like kcms themselves. perhaps
we could even re-use that.

> - We have a big interface with most things disabled by default. It
> made me excited in the beginning then it all disappeared fast.
> - We have a "Simple Locker". What does that mean? Why can't I test it?

agreed. the config UI needs another rev.

> - Then we have Screen Savers where I have Random and just Black Screen
> (I think Black is simple enough...). Do we have other "Screen Savers"?

lots, but you need to install the package. personally, i'd love to see the
xscreensavers die and go away, replaced with QML fun.

> There's also the "Desktop Widgets" option. There, I think a nicer name
> would be "Interactive Locker". It sounded appealing to me but then:
> - For some reason I changed something that plasma didn't like, so now
> every time the overlay is called I get a crash. This means that if I
> lock my computer, then I get a black screen that I can't get back
> from.

that should definitely not be happening. where was the problem? (e.g. backtrace
or way to reproduce)

> And in general, I understand that it's a locking screen, but I'd like
> to see it being able to have different unlocking systems rather than
> the password, have we considered that?

have you seen the one for Plasma Active?

what we lack is a way to select between different QML unlockers that are
installed.

so the greatest number of issues are in the config UI. any takers for
undertaking a rethink of that dialog?

> PS: note that we have 1 month tops to fix this!

and it sat in a branch for ~2 releases and nobody gave feedback, despite
announcements and blogs and all that. shock! horror!

seriously, we don't need to get ourselves into "defend thy feature"
discussions or "shit fuck shit we're fucked if we don't..." panic
conversations.

let's stay focused on positive engagement, constructive critique and solution
propostion. thanks :)