share-like-connect in 4.10

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 4 14:48:42 UTC 2012

On Thursday, October 4, 2012 13:39:07 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 04 October 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > as Marco noted, there are some tweaks that can be made indeed. the popups
> > are ok, but as visually appealing as they could be nor as easy to use
> > either imho. some fo the targets are a bit small and the transitions are
> > not always clear. this is QML twiddling, though, and i'm sure we'll get a
> > lot more feedback as we do so once it's part of the default set up.
>
> a thing that i was thinking about is if in the desktop makes sense to have a
> single icon with the 3 menus merged in one (as happens in the context menus
> for the pa screen)

pro: less space taken
con: more clicks needed
con: can't see immediately see whether there are share, like or connect
actions available  (it's common that only 1 or 2 are active for a given URI)
unless we increase the information in the icon

the pro may still be worth it. i really don't like it being in the system
tray, however. that's an abuse of that area as this is not a notification,
system service or other similar status item. it really is an app interface.

putting it next to (or at least near) the activities button would also help
increase the relationship between these concepts ...

> would have the pro of not having an item in the panel often unused, but the
> con of cause more layout dancing in the systray area

the idea is that it would be used :) if it isn't, the user can remove it.