Button component width

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Oct 3 14:48:55 UTC 2012

Le mercredi 3 octobre 2012 16:25:45 Marco Martin a écrit :
> On Wednesday 03 October 2012, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > > Cheers,
> > > Marco Martin
> >
> > Well, this means that a button can't be <132px without forcing a given
> > width. I don't see why we'd force a bigger width just for the sake of
> > having a default size.
>
> two reasons, one is technical, one is about look.
> sometimes the technical/look reasons are in oppositon, sometimes they are on
> the same direction, and is a golden opportunity to make things simpler
>
> was chosen to make buttons all the same size if possible to make them look
> more consistent, the interface ui looking less noisy.
> for instance if they are in a grid or a column, they'll be perfectly aligned
> in column/grid by default, something i don't want to rely on developers
> doing that, because well... they won't :p

That doesn't work. Translations will break it. QML makes it easy for
developers to force vertical edges to be aligned, so I don't think you have to
worry too much about it. Actually forcing a minimum with might fool developers
into thinking items are aligned, only to see the UI break when the application
is translated.

Aurélien