Button component width

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:25:45 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 03 October 2012, Aleix Pol wrote:

> > Cheers,
> > Marco Martin
>
> Well, this means that a button can't be <132px without forcing a given
> width. I don't see why we'd force a bigger width just for the sake of
> having a default size.

two reasons, one is technical, one is about look.
sometimes the technical/look reasons are in oppositon, sometimes they are on
the same direction, and is a golden opportunity to make things simpler

was chosen to make buttons all the same size if possible to make them look
more consistent, the interface ui looking less noisy.
for instance if they are in a grid or a column, they'll be perfectly aligned
in column/grid by default, something i don't want to rely on developers doing
that, because well... they won't :p

the little technical bonus is that if all buttons are the same only one
rendered buttom pixmap will be cached on disk, a lot of memory sharing ->
happyness

Cheers,
Marco Martin