plasma2 and ToolTipManager

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 12:46:44 UTC 2012

On Monday, October 1, 2012 13:56:53 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Sunday 30 September 2012, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > >
> > > Sounds straightforward to do. Do we need WM support for the placement?
> >
> > I would like to try moving the complete tooltip into the WM. I'm very
> > unhappy with what we currently have and I consider especially the window
> > thumbnails to be more like a cludge.
>
> it may make sense...
> the problems i may think about it are mostly data communication-related.

and consistency. do we do every single tooltip (of the plasma style) for every
app that uses such a thing in the window manager?

if "yes" then these applications become unusable without kwin (or a compatible
WM, which does not exist). (right now, we only lose window thumbnails, not all
tooltips.)

if "no" then we have to coordinate between tooltips shown by the WM and ones
shown by applications, which will be exceptionally non-trivial to get right.

* we know we want the pixmap generated by the WM.
* we know we don't want the pixmap transmitted over application based IPC.

& imho the UI presentation needs to stay in-application for reasons of
coordination, flexibility and simplicity. ... which leads us to "how can we get
the necessary pixmaps that the WM renders to the UI while keeping the UI in
the application?" sharing GL textures seems like a reasonable answer.

the GL texture would be generated and updated by the window manager but used b
other applications (e.g.the desktop shell). how to address such textures is
platform specific (windows, mac, x11, etc) but it is a broadly available
functionality and one _we_ only need to care about on a very select # of
platforms.

what could make it an unreasonable answer is if:

* the overhead is high
* we can not coordinate updates to the texture between the WM and the
application (leading to, e.g., thumbnails not updated in a live fashion)

just as i am hesitant to move window management issues outside the window
manager (e.g. client side window decos), i am hesitant to move application
rendering into the window manager.