plasma2 and ToolTipManager

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 11:56:53 UTC 2012

On Sunday 30 September 2012, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 September 2012 16:16:23 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 15:35:26 Marco Martin wrote:
> > > comments?
> >
> > Sounds straightforward to do. Do we need WM support for the placement?
>
> I would like to try moving the complete tooltip into the WM. I'm very
> unhappy with what we currently have and I consider especially the window
> thumbnails to be more like a cludge.

it may make sense...
the problems i may think about it are mostly data communication-related.
how would you pass the other needed information about the tooltip?
* position
* icon (icon name or pixmap)
* text
* subtext

atom? dbus?

who would have the timer to show when the mouse is over the right widget for x
time? plasma or kwin?

this sounds to me like something not too unlike the systray protocol

Cheers,
Marco Martin