[RFC] New (QML) Desktop Containment

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 14:37:30 UTC 2012

On Thursday 22 November 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > to go a bit more at impementation details vevel, to achieve something
> > like that, it could be done:
> > * maintain the same grid system 48x48 there is now
>
> should this be based on screen resolution / dpi?

yep, probably , something that should always result in ~1 phisical centimeter
or something like that

> i'd like to see how a fine-grained grid works first (we may need to play
> with the size of the grid cells) and if it leaves something to be desired
> in practice, try more complex implementations such as what you suggest.
> (start simple work towads necessary complexity.)

the first thing to try may be just the grid, and see how things work in
practiche. the implementation right now is at 80-90% so some user testing may
happen already.

another crazy idea could be:

applets are already inside an "appletcontainer" thing.

that object, or even just an Item around it can expand for ~40 pixel (again
dpi based) around the applet, but being something invisible graphically and to
the input.

then when i move 2 applets near each other, use the very raw builtin collision
detection (just containment.childAt(x,y)) to see if we are colliding against
another "invisible bumper" and do the snapping in this case.

the qml part should be able to remain very small this way

Cheers,
Marco Martin