SystemTray: pop-up window position

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 18 15:21:13 UTC 2012

On Saturday, November 17, 2012 19:36:27 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Saturday 17 November 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > like if is more than ~20 characters wide, we would assume is not
> > > something serving as a simple menu, but is a complex thing, so center...
> >
> > or maybe just compare the popup size to the target item size .. if the
> > target item is N times wider/taller (depending on orientation) than the
> > popup, position at event location. otherwise center.
> >
> > N = 2 might work?
>
> but is also true that when n is < 2 the difference between centered and on
> the left isn't that much anymore...

exactly; it's when it is N > 2 (or some other fixed constant we find through
trial and error) that alignment to the trigger event (e.g. mouse press)
becomes better.

that's sort of the problem: for different ratios of popup to target, the answer
of 'what looks best and is easier to use' changes.

> so what about trying to just default to centered and see how it works?

for N < 2, sure. for things the width of the taskbar, it really sucks. i tried
this in the past, which is why it stayed left aligned by default.

> also noting that with this different behavior based on the popup size, the
> behavior can get a bit "magical" in the bad sense a bit inconsistent.

i'm not sure it would be magical in the *bad* sense. if the "magical choice"
is simply more convenient in each case (and the user does not need to adapt
much or at all when the choice varies) then it won't matter.