SystemTray: pop-up window position

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 18:36:27 UTC 2012

On Saturday 17 November 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > like if is more than ~20 characters wide, we would assume is not
> > something serving as a simple menu, but is a complex thing, so center...
>
> or maybe just compare the popup size to the target item size .. if the
> target item is N times wider/taller (depending on orientation) than the
> popup, position at event location. otherwise center.
>
> N = 2 might work?

but is also true that when n is < 2 the difference between centered and on the
left isn't that much anymore...
so what about trying to just default to centered and see how it works?

a different behavior may be introduced after if it doesn't work.
also noting that with this different behavior based on the popup size, the
behavior can get a bit "magical" in the bad sense a bit inconsistent.

Cheers,
Marco Martin