Introducing Homerun

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 13 14:49:22 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 15:29:37 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 November 2012 14:41:24 Marco Martin wrote:
> > On Tuesday 13 November 2012, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > > http://wstaw.org/m/2012/11/13/plasma-desktopb11622.png
> >
> > well, the first thing that comes to my mind looking at that is... where is
> > waldo? :p
>
> Exactly the same feeling with kickoff or tree based menus, the difference is
> that by having everything into the same place you don't have to make
> "attempts" on knowing in which page waldo is xD

serious question:

	is it our goal to re-create the entire body of knowledge around human
	behaviour, psychology and machine usage?

i ask because these discussions have all been had by people smarter than us
(in these areas, at least :) long ago.

in this case, there's a reason why google's simple search page killed all the
hierarchical organizations (like Yahoo) -> hierarchy fails beyond a certain
level; lists are difficult for people; 2D grids even harder. this is not
disputed. this is well confirmed scientific knowledge.

anyone who is interested in designing the next better wheel (or, launcher :)
should probably start by familiarizing themself with this body of information
and then start designing.

full listings, hierarchies and free search all have their "sweet spots" for
people and a good launcher will utilize them.