Introducing Homerun

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Tue Nov 13 14:29:37 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 13 November 2012 14:41:24 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 November 2012, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > Most users regularly use less than a dozen applications, and same idea can
> > probably be applied to activities I think (it is ok to keep an activity I
> > created 9month ago for a travel I did to Rome, it is not ok to have it in
> > the interface every time I want to change activity).
> >
> > In another topic, something I specially like from homerun is its "Show all
> > apps" view:
> > http://wstaw.org/m/2012/11/13/plasma-desktopb11622.png
>
> well, the first thing that comes to my mind looking at that is... where is
> waldo? :p
Exactly the same feeling with kickoff or tree based menus, the difference is
that by having everything into the same place you don't have to make
"attempts" on knowing in which page waldo is xD

> why? several reasons, not all of them solvable:
> * question of quantity: when more than a given number of items is shown at
> the same time, as already explained the brain goes in linear scan mode
>
> * everything is at the same importance: there are tons of entries, some may
> be very important (browser, calligra..) and some rarely needed, if ever
> (amor... srsly? :P)
>
> * icons are not designed to be presented in huge quantity: explicit
> guideline of oxygen: application icons don't have much common style that
> recreases the visual noise when shown in a grid (as opposed to for instance
> mimetypes)
>
> This suggests there are two separate problems:
> 1) we have a ton of stuff right now that gets listed as applications that
> probably shouldn't even be there or, we should at least have a way to tell
> apart core applications from "small littering stuff"
>
> 2) a view that lists stuff should always try to show not much stuff at once,
> maybe be resizable, but be small (in resulting centimiters on screen, not
> pixels) by default for the two reasons of distance travelled by mouse and
> being able to get the whole list as a single glance
>
> > It made me realize that right now with kickoff we are adding a huge
> > complexity to find (with the mouse) what you are looking for because you
> > not only have to remember the icon or the name, but you also have to
> > remember the category.
>
> yep, hate representations in trees ;)
> i'm usually for a single level more "tagging" approach, but by default we
> should try to produce lists fairly small
Well you know (and you can see in the bottom of that screenshot) that I use a
dock style thingy so I have a set of 12 app's mostly always opened so I hardly
use this menu (or krunner for that matter).

There are only a few times where I have to use something else to launch
applications:

-I need to execute an already installed app but barelly used
	-Calligra -- new document
	-LibreOffice -- new document
	-systemsettings -- change a setting
-I need to execute a recently installed app (most package installers allow you
to execute the app just after installing it)
-Want to set an app as a "launcher" because I have started to use it a lot

>From the mentioned above, I did the "recently installed" a week ago for Steam,
and past that I can't remember the last time I executed something that was not
in my favorie list (dock).