PlasmaCore Dialog maximum width

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon May 28 12:33:54 UTC 2012

On Monday 28 May 2012, Ionut Colceriu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way I could make a PlasmaCore Dialog fullscreen, in QML?
> Right now, it seems that the Dialog has a maximum width (screen width
> - margins) that I can't get beyond, regardless of the width I set on
> the mainItem.
>
> Also, could you tell me where the margins for it are set? I've tried
> removing the shadow-hint-margins from the SVG theme
> (/dialogs/background.svgz), with no luck.
>
> Thanks!

that's not what Dialog is for.
bindings are purposefully kept without (much) control of how the window
appearance will be, because an applet should just define what will be the data
disaplayed, not control too much what the final appearance will be.
for elements that end up being top level windows is even more evident due to
how many corner cases there are: what will be the window mask, needed if
composite is off, what is the position in the whole screen that may span in
multiple monitors, where are the reserved areas (panels) etc.

so in general writing things in qml that requires things like a full screen
window is discouraged. if really needed, an element to do that should be
implemented in c++ but *not* exported as a plugin.

Cheers,
Marco Martin