HIG standards (from KDE-Frameworks)

Djuro Drljaca djurodrljaca at gmail.com
Tue May 22 17:50:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Aurélien Gâteau <agateau at kde.org> wrote:

> Le jeudi 17 mai 2012 09:28:49 Rick Stockton a écrit :
> > > While looking at the shortcut for switching tabs i notice that kde'
> > > own SC apps are not even following it.
> > > According to the docs:
> > > Next tab: Ctrl+PageUp
> > > Previous tab: Ctrl+PageDown
> > >
> > > Doesn't work in:
> > > Dolphin (uses Ctrl+tab for forward and Ctrl+shift+tab for backward)
> > > Konsole (uses Shift+left and Shift+right)
> > > Rekonq (uses Ctrl+tab for forward and Ctrl+shift+tab for backward)
> > > Konqueror (uses Ctrl+tab for forward and Ctrl+shift+tab for backward)
> > > then i stopped testing...
> > >
> > > I would like to propose to follow the browsers here and make their
> > > de-facto standard the HIG guideline. As an alternative i would add the
> > > current konsole ones. That would mean:
> > > Next tab:
> > > - Primary: Ctrl + tab
> > > - Alternate: Shift + Right
> > > Previous tab:
> > > - Primary: Ctrl + shift + tab
> > > - Alternate: Shift + Left
>
> I would warn against using Shift + (Left|Right) as an alternate shortcut: I
> assume Konsole does this because it has special handling of Tab, but Shift
> +
> Left|Right is most likely already used for other purposes in several
> applications, for example moving from word to word in an editor.
>
> > > I'm guessing that all current KDE SC apps that use tabs are to be
> > > adjusted to either follow the current HIG or to follow my proposal.
> > > What's your opinion on using the browser tab shortcuts as the
> shortcuts?
>
> I personally prefer ctrl + page up|down as I find them more symetrict and
> intuitive, but I may be the minority here.
>
> Aurélien

Problem with Ctrl + Page Up/Page Down is that it can bee a little more
dificult to press with your left hand. Most people are right handed and
they use the mouse with their right hand and have the the left hand on the
left part of the keyboard and this is probably the reason people like the
Ctrl + Tab shortcut.

Just my 2c...