HIG standards (from KDE-Frameworks)

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Tue May 22 08:51:04 UTC 2012

Le jeudi 17 mai 2012 09:28:49 Rick Stockton a écrit :
> > While looking at the shortcut for switching tabs i notice that kde'
> > own SC apps are not even following it.
> > According to the docs:
> > Next tab: Ctrl+PageUp
> > Previous tab: Ctrl+PageDown
> >
> > Doesn't work in:
> > Dolphin (uses Ctrl+tab for forward and Ctrl+shift+tab for backward)
> > Konsole (uses Shift+left and Shift+right)
> > Rekonq (uses Ctrl+tab for forward and Ctrl+shift+tab for backward)
> > Konqueror (uses Ctrl+tab for forward and Ctrl+shift+tab for backward)
> > then i stopped testing...
> >
> > I would like to propose to follow the browsers here and make their
> > de-facto standard the HIG guideline. As an alternative i would add the
> > current konsole ones. That would mean:
> > Next tab:
> > - Primary: Ctrl + tab
> > - Alternate: Shift + Right
> > Previous tab:
> > - Primary: Ctrl + shift + tab
> > - Alternate: Shift + Left

I would warn against using Shift + (Left|Right) as an alternate shortcut: I
assume Konsole does this because it has special handling of Tab, but Shift +
Left|Right is most likely already used for other purposes in several
applications, for example moving from word to word in an editor.

> > I'm guessing that all current KDE SC apps that use tabs are to be
> > adjusted to either follow the current HIG or to follow my proposal.
> > What's your opinion on using the browser tab shortcuts as the shortcuts?

I personally prefer ctrl + page up|down as I find them more symetrict and
intuitive, but I may be the minority here.

Aurélien