Workspace sprint, workplan/methodology

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 17 16:51:15 UTC 2012

On Thursday, May 17, 2012 13:57:51 Aleix Pol wrote:
> I understand this is a sensible issue for you and I don't have any
> intention of arguing it

could you answer the question i asked in the email: in what way do you feel
that there is too much focus on how applications integrate with plasma?

> My intention was not to discourage anyone, but pointing out to what I
> think it's important for me in the sprint. It might be discouraging
> but I think it's important to make sure we're on the same page
> regarding the sprint.

people can be on the same page without being discouraged.
getting on the same page also requires that we have a reasonable undrestanding
of the topics.

you have concerns about the scope of the sprint, and i understand that.

i have concerns that people are going to be discussing "iterating the desktop"
while operating under such misconceptions as "the on screen keyboard is
irrelevant to the desktop". it is increasingly apparent that there is a large
knowledge gap combined with a lot of preconceptions. that will be a challenge
to overcome at this event.

> We need to be able to talk about these things
> without anyone going for the jugular.

here's how to avoid that:

* don't create divisions between the various plasma focus areas (e.g. desktop
vs active). they don't exist, and we don't want them to. remember that words
become intentions become actions, so when you speak of those divisions as if
they are real they will eventually become so.

* default to supporting people wanting to put effort into things rather than
pre-emptively discouraging them.

* take the time to understand what plasma is, and _then_ try to come up with
the next big thing(s).

if it is unclear how the above points were not met in your earlier email, let
me know and i'll be happy to expand further (on or off list)