Workspace Next Sprint Organization

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 16 12:59:57 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 14:22:40 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> If for understanding our vision we have to read all that then it is not a
> good vision imho.

i offered a short paragraph that describes the overall vision we've had to date
in this thread. let me try again:

"create an elegant and organic user interface that enables anyone to enjoyably
use a machine for different activities with large amounts of diverse files,
contacts, locations and other information."

"create a system that works across the device spectrum with a minimum of
additional effort to target additional devices, enabling both variety in
supported systems and great integration and consistency between devices."

i recognize that actually understanding the implications of that vision is
non-trivial. this is to be expected.

Björn gave the example of JFK's "to the moon!" BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious
Goal). we can all read and understand what "put a man on the moon" means. it's
short and conceptually simple to grasp.

now put ourselves in the place of the engineers who had to actually make the
machines to make that happen (not to mention get the austronauts trained and
ready).

same thing.

the game of Go (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_%28game%29) is another one.
you can learn the rules in 5 minutes flat. there is one board that is just a
grid with two kinds of stones (black and white). it takes years to thoroughly
undestand it and play well, though.

this is why it's taken so long to get this far, and why there is so much to
read in support of the directions the vision has led us down (e.g. activities,
SLC, plasmoids, ...). we have all gone through the process of learning and
understanding, and continue to do so. it's doubly hard since we don't accept
"copy someone else" as the best answer even though it's often the most obvious
answer.

but it's also why we have been able to do plasma active while other f/oss
projects have ... well .. what do they have again? i see a community fork of
android (the imho rather cool cyanogenmod) and that's about it. and they don't
have a desktop. :)