Workspace Next Sprint Organization

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Wed May 16 09:50:45 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:02:34 AM Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 05:34:47 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > Plasma workspace should be excellent on launching, switching and getting
> > applications and it shouldn't bother the user while using those.
>
> i think it is a fine (start to a) functional goal to reach for, in that it
> approaches a specific use case (applications).
I think I already asked this in another email (I'm jetlagged so my brain is
acting weird XD) but, why is this specific?

> and to echo an earlier question of yours, i don't see how to apply it to
> Bluedevil / RandR / Kamoso? (i'm fine that it doesn't, i'm just curious that
> this was on your mind earlier, but i don't see how it fits here..)
It doesn't, it only applies to the shell (plasma-workspae + kwin), which I did
in purpose because I'm not sure of what a "desktop | workspace" contain.

If we include bluedevil, randr etc into the workspace then the vision should
be extended.

> > For the users that need it,
>
> which people need it? which don't? why?
You only need to organize things when you have things to organize.

A user that only wants to watch lolcats on youtube and talk to friends via
facebook doesn't.

A user that use the computer for multiple things or in multiple areas (work,
home) may want to.

> > There is another part of my vision focused on developers, I don't think it
> > is relevant here.
>
> be daring and share it anyways ;)
The workspace should be extensible by third party developers and thus should
be able to integrate their applications with it not mattering on which
technology the application is written.

Nothing that current plasma can't do.