Workspace Next Sprint Organization

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Wed May 16 03:24:56 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:07:08 AM Björn Balazs wrote:
> Have you been aware of this vision?
No.

> If no: looking back would it have been helpful for your work if you had
> known it (and how)?
No (I don't see how to apply it on Bluedevil / RandR / Kamoso).

> Is it too general / just right / too specific?
I think it is focused on the shell while we are working towards a workspace,
which includes more things than the shell (working out a definition for
workspace would be nice too).

> Is there anything missing or unnecessary in it?
I'm surprised that the word "application" doesn't appear even once, the most
basic thing to do with the shell is switching and launching applications. Once
that is done in a excellent way, then we can think on how complement it.

Something I asked myself while preparing for this sprint:
How much time do you use the shell and for doing what?

My answer to that question is:
I use the shell for launching and switching applications most of the time.
Most of my time is spent into applications not in the shell.
Apart from switching applications, I use it to configure the network and I do
this at most once per place when using a laptop, never when using a
workstation.

Funny story, using master version from time to time I found myself with
plasma-workspace not working or crashing once executed. I'm still perfectly
able to work thanks to KWin effects and KRunner (which are part of the shell
as well).

My answer is based on my experience using the current shell. A possible
objective for the "next thing" would be change that habit and make users spent
more time on the shell.