GSoC Plasmoid Initialization

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Mar 25 15:15:25 UTC 2012

On Sunday, 2012-03-25, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 09:58:14 Łukasz Olender wrote:
> > Simply I'll start from implementing Applet::init() method asynchronously
> > and take care if nothing goes wrong. If something bad will happen, I will
>
> i am skeptical that threading can be used here. one example: painting may
> be triggered during init(), and that must be in the main thread. this
> project is not really about threading as much as it is about delaying the
> initialization of the applets and returning to the event loop between
> initializations.

I guess one could research whether calling all methods that do painting
through QMetaObject::invokeMethod( ...., Qt::QueuedConnection ) still works,
i.e. no calls replying on painting to be finished after call return.

If that works calling them through a cross-thread signal/slot connection
should also work.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring