QML Plasmoids and complex configs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Mar 18 19:47:24 UTC 2012

On Saturday, March 17, 2012 17:07:24 David Edmundson wrote:
> I've been given the impression that all plasmoids are moving to QML,
> and as such I'm trying to make sure that happens in my project, KDE
> Telepathy.
>
> >From my understanding QML plugins can only use configs by shipping a

you can also write the Applet in C++ and use a Plasma::DeclarativeWidget as
your primary widget. this will end up being adjusted once libplasma2 is
developed and available, which is probably worth keeping in mind.

> Are C++ applets being phased out?

not completely, no.

> Will there be a way to use QtScript in the config?

we will be re-thinking how config UI is accesed by applets in libplasma2. very
likely the answer will end up becoming "QML can be used in config dialogs"

this could perhaps even be done now with the declarative script engine. as
with many of these things, it requires someone to do the work.

> Are the config dialogs going to be moved to QML?

this is very likely, yes.

> Side note, for someone who's developing a lot of stuff /on/ Plasma but
> not really involved /in/ Plasma there's not a lot of public
> communication about the general roadmap of Plasma2. On techbase

there is the libplasma2 tasks page, the porting to libplasma2 page ... and
that is really about it because that's all we have. there is no non-public
communication that's been hidden from you or others :)

> there's simply a line that says "This is now the recommended method of
> creating plasmoids," on the QML section but you would actually miss if
> you click on any of the links to any of the other languages. I have to

this has nothing to do with libplasma2. it's already the case now.

> I'm not trying to rant, and possibly I'm looking in the wrong places,
> but if I'm struggling to find an official word of "this is how you
> should be writing plasmoids that will work 2 years from now", so will
> lots of people - and that's something that needs to be addressed, even
> if only in a blog post.

"in a blog post" isn't good enough because we've already done that. :)
honestly, i don't think there is ANYWHERE we could put it that people would
find because our audience is not yet used to reliably looking in any one spot
for this.

anyways .. as we get more done on libplasma2, we'll update the content on
techbase and hopefully has something more complete by that point. we do keep
asking for people to contribute documentation as well :)

--
Aaron Seigo