Breadcrumbs in Kickoff

Mihai Dobrescu msdobrescu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 09:20:43 UTC 2012

Hello,

IMHO, when a user makes a request, he will not perform a market study
on his demand. He knows his needs and he doesn't ask, nor speaks, for
other users hand.
I feel an important amount of stress from the developers part,
regarding the code involved. From the user part this is unknown. As
professional developer, the easy to use a feature is, the harder might
be to implement in the code. When I became software developer, I've
sworn to satisfy my customers, of course when possible and within the
feasible limits. So, I would not reject a requested feature unless I
have good technical reasons to prevent it, based on the argument of
complexity of code. Of course, maintenance is a good reason to reject
when not enough resources are present, in order to support that
feature (is this the case?).

So, as KDE user, I can't give any statistics, polls, whatever in favor
or against this button.
I just _feel_ it is better than breadcrumbs for _me_. It is _natural_ to _me_.
Form _my_ point of view, breadcrumbs are also useful, as a shortcut,
when I need to jump over some elements in the path.
So, the back button and breadcrumbs, although seem redundant, they are
not, _to me_.
I would use the 'back' button in 90% of cases.
It is the very same case with Dolphin (the 'Up' button vs the path
breadcrumbs), again, _for me_.

BTW, not all users that miss the button will complain.
Some devs say that these messages are lose of time for them. I can say
using the breadcrumbs in the KickOff menu make me losing time too, for
the sole reason it is unnatural _to me_ to use it there.
Also, user feedback is not a lose of time.

Although not many users express their gratitude for the developers
work, because, _it seems_, the human nature is to complain about
things not working or things not done.
Sometimes it should happen. I _need_ to tell you, all the KDE team,
that I love your work, some may say _imperfect_, but _great_ I say,
knowing the effort you put in keeping it as close as possible to our
needs.
KDE is, _in my opinion_, well designed, flexible to be extended, clean
and visually appealing. And OPEN.
Making Plasma and Plasmoids is a good move. It's in the spirit of
Linux and its customizability. I hope you keep up this good work for
long.

Thank you,
Mike.