Widgets Sidebar

Yi Xia yxia921 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:21:21 UTC 2012

I was not subscribed to the mailing list so didn't get anything back from
the post before.
So for the reply to :

>On Sunday, March 4, 2012 20:04:28 Yi Xia wrote:
>>* Hello,*
> >* *
> >* Our team is trying to simply the Kubuntu 11.10 operating system and one
*
> >* major task is to remove the sidebar of the widgets which will appear
when*
> >* the mouse is moved onto the widget.*
>
> the easiest way is to change the type of the containment from
> DesktopContainment to CustomContainment.
>
>in libplasma2 we intend to make the applet handles customizable / provided
by
> the containment and/or shell much as how the context menus are.
>
> >* Our goal is to get rid of the sidebar but still keep the widgets
unlocked.*

>and how is the user going to reliably move or configure the widgets?
>
>while what you ask for is possible, unless you provide a reasonable
> replacement you will simply cause your users more grief by making it
>impossible for them reliably move, configure or close widgets. i would
also
>suggest that making users rely on right click menus is not simplifying
>anything.
>
>can you tell us which OS and/or device this will appear on so we know how
>identify incoming bug reports that may end up related to this? thanks...
>
>--
>Aaron J. Seigo_______________________________________________

 *Could you give more information on how to change the type of containment
or where the files are located?*

*Regarding the configuration of the widgets, our idea is to use Kinect as
the input source and since most widgets can be moved around by clicking on
themselves rather than the side menu bar.
Per resizing, we are trying to map two cursors in the X11 and use two
clicking to zoom, like someone does on the iPad or other multi-touch
tablets. But that's still under progress.
Other configurations like settings, rotating will just be discarded since
this is not going be become a commercial product but rather just a design
project. *

*Our OS is Kubuntu 11.10, device is just the Microsoft Kinect.
*

*Thank you.*

*Yi Xia
*