Widgets Sidebar

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 6 06:08:59 UTC 2012

On Sunday, March 4, 2012 20:04:28 Yi Xia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our team is trying to simply the Kubuntu 11.10 operating system and one
> major task is to remove the sidebar of the widgets which will appear when
> the mouse is moved onto the widget.

the easiest way is to change the type of the containment from
DesktopContainment to CustomContainment.

in libplasma2 we intend to make the applet handles customizable / provided by
the containment and/or shell much as how the context menus are.

> Our goal is to get rid of the sidebar but still keep the widgets unlocked.

and how is the user going to reliably move or configure the widgets?

while what you ask for is possible, unless you provide a reasonable
replacement you will simply cause your users more grief by making it
impossible for them reliably move, configure or close widgets. i would also
suggest that making users rely on right click menus is not simplifying
anything.

can you tell us which OS and/or device this will appear on so we know how to
identify incoming bug reports that may end up related to this? thanks...