RFC: Removing of decorations

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Mar 11 10:01:11 UTC 2012

On Sunday 11 March 2012 09:23:46 Luca Beltrame wrote:
> In data sabato 10 marzo 2012 07:51:37, Martin Gräßlin ha scritto:
> > Deleting the old decorations will mean removing the only decorations which
> > work well for thin clients or X forwarding. But I don't consider this an
>
> The question then is: does Oxygen work realiably for thin clients / X
> forwarding? If not, then IMO at least one of the two need to stay, as thin
> clients are still used in setups of a certain relevance (think school labs
> or something of the sort).
Do we have to include by default a visually outdated theme (Laptop) or an even
broken theme (Plastik) just for thin clients? Is this the primary target group
of our user base? Is it acceptable to ship by default an additional theme
which puts KDE into a bad light by most users just for a minor use case?

We have to remember that Thin-Clients need major adjustments to the default
settings. E.g. running compositing is completely unsuited for a network
transparent solution. Also the Qt graphics system backend has to be changed to
native.

I think it is acceptable to install another window decoration from kde-artwork
to get something for thin clients.

Personally I would prefer to see a proper thin client solution consisting of a
lightweight window decoration, a light weight widget style. At the moment the
default KDE Plasma theme is everywhere completely unsuited for the use in thin
client setups.

Cheers
Martin