Plasma applets inside QML applet

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 10:05:25 UTC 2012

On Saturday 23 June 2012, Dmitry wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm developing an applet in QML. I need to load an external applet and
> to place it into my applet like  containment applet, like panel or
> system tray. But at the same time my applet isn't a pure containment
> applet [it doesn't contain only applets]. Do You know how I can do it or
> it's not possible?

this is a case where one needs to take a step back and consider exactly what
is the final needed result whitout assumptions on how to get there "ie applets
in applets"

putting applets inside other applets instead of directly in  a containment is
generally not a good idea. the systray plasmoid does this mostly for
functional requisites, but this is causing quite some problems there as well,
since the applet base class codebase is designed for having its lifecycle
managed by a containment instance.

So is not something that is going to be supported in qml, i don't think
(i would like also to think about an alternate way for the systray in plasma2
that wouldn't have those problems)

if in the end what you need can be done with a classical containment, but done
in qml, there are several examples in the plasma-mobile repository.
it's still a bit quirky because in plasma1 applets are qgraphicswidgets and
this doesn't play extremely well with qml, but it works already.

Cheers,
Marco Martin