Raj change

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jun 20 15:22:28 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 16:46:28 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wednesday 20 June 2012 13:05:04 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > Triggered by the comments on my blog, I'd like to change Raj's monthly
> > available money from 300€ to 60€, which seems way more in line with
> > reality.
> Well, we knew it wasn't really 300€ at the time and likely a lot less, but
> we took cost of living in account to transpose that into the average
> european frame of reference.
>
> So I'd rather see something like the real rupee value, and put next to it
> that for us westerners it'd be close to a european student living on 300€
> per month. I'm concerned that just putting "60€" could be deemed as
> ridiculously low by someone reading it who would then simply ignore it.
>
> I think the mistake we made was to go for "300€" with no explanation, just
> changing it to "60€" sounds like repeating the same mistake.

Yeah, warrants some explanation.

I think it's wrong to try to translate such amounts into "what's normal in a
European context", it adds a layer of abstraction that's highly subjective.
When using those numbers, we should give them some more meaning, but keep the
original amount, maybe express it in Rupees first (local valuta) and put a few
words that it's not a lot but enough to get around as a student.
--
sebas