No "remaining time" option in battery monitor?

Shaun Reich sreich at kde.org
Fri Jun 15 00:08:10 UTC 2012

To me it looks less like a "discussion" and more like a "aaron got pissed
because it didn't work for him, who himself is one person therefore nobody
should have it".

If not all hardware supports it, tough shit we've been shipping compositing
on so much hardware that couldn't support it even in a remote sense yet did
it anyways. And these days compositing works pretty darn well on even less
mature Foss drivers. Do you see parallels here? I don't know, power top
manages to get the info just fine.

Of course it is by nature inaccurate, but you know what? So is guessing how
much % is left. So you're simply wrong, anything associated with a battery
can be easily argued as inaccurate, because it is. You know that battery %
cannot be measured just from VA alone with Li-ion, many other factors need
to be taken into consideration, especially temperature. Otherwise the
values you're getting could be at least 20% off. So maybe we should stop
displaying the percentage of the battery, and just tell the user that their
computer is on. And when it is off, we won't tell them anything.

Time remaining applies to a lot of things, and since it's all hardware,
it's all inaccurate but does give you a rough idea, look at backup power
supplies; also, even cars have it these days(in the form of mpg and miles
remaining as well as minutes). The user doesn't expect it to be 100%
accurate, because it can't be and it never was, they already know that.

Given this logic, perhaps we should also abandon file transfer ETA and just
say "it's done when it's done", since inter/intranet bandwidth and internal
I/O operations vary so greatly with access times and scheduling, there's no
way to possibly give you an accurate time, and the users won't be able to
trust it ever because it switches from "1 week" to "4 hours". And yet we
do...? Because it's common functionality and is expected..

That said, every other OS under the sun manages to do ETA just fine, so
what's the problem?