Quality Team: LCD weather station and calendar (in panel) are really broken

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Thu Jun 14 19:55:48 UTC 2012

On 06/14/2012 08:31 PM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, June 14, 2012 16:58:55 David Edmundson wrote:
>> so much resistance. Reviews are slow,
> often they happen the same day, sometimes they don't. i would like them to be
> faster as well. when i keep on top of them and do the reviewing myself, it is
> fast. when i don't ... well ..
>
>> replies on maliing lists (such
>> as this one) can be very condescending instantly blaming an entire
>> team for a lack of communication and most ML threads seem to derail
>> into arguments.
> this has only been the case since a recent expansion of the project happened
> and new people joined in. this has not been the status quo for the last few
> years, and it is not enjoyable for anyone.
>
>> Have you discussed the weather LCD applet with the team before denying
>> the request.
> yes, on this very list. Luís Gabriel suggested a solution, as someone who is
> working on what may well be the next revision of the weather applet (done this
> time with QML). i agreed that solution would work. it was then implied that
> this was not acceptable, and we really should just do what the QA team says.
> this is completely unnacceptable.
>
> as for decision making authority, in KDE that is the maintainer.
>
> the author of the weather dataengine is currently unavailable, and in lieu of
> them being here, then the maintainership falls on my shoulders.
>
> i also happen to be the module maintainer for the repository this component is
> in.
>
> this is the standard way of doing things, and it works if people respect that.
> i find it disapointing that i need to somehow defend that i am allowed to make
> decisions over code that i maintain.

Nobody said you had to do this or that. The QA team makes suggestions,
you of course have the final say.
Thanks for fixing Calendar!

Again I apologize for the reverted commit (I CCed you so you were
informed instantly), this had nothing to do with the current discussion
and should not have been brought into it, it was just a bad handling of
my part (which is not a behavior I usually have). It happens to make
errors and we (quite enthusiastically) debugged this systray bug and I
got carried away. Of course I'll use reviewboard next time. It had
nothing to do with the QA Team and the debugging of the bug that lead to
my bad revert happened in #plasma.

To add a positive note to all this: the work the QA Team did so far: I
don't know how many Plasma bug reports were triaged prior the beta 1
release but Myriam alone triaged, verified, put versions in hundreds of
reports. It's to be noted that users answered to queries about old bug
reports better than we expected. From the beta 1 release to now, more
than 100 bug reports were issued or confirmed, most about Plasma and 33
were fixed. Special thanks to Viranch who is tackling QML regressions
and make users happy. Tests on community wiki
http://community.kde.org/Getinvolved/Testing/Beta/Plasma can be useful
to new developers.
Plasma bugs in bugzilla should now be very much easier for developers to
prioritize. Please let us know if you have questions about bugzilla or
suggestions.

Best regards,

Anne-Marie