kde plasma workspace structure

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 19:36:20 UTC 2012

On Saturday 09 June 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday, June 9, 2012 13:11:21 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > As notmart said in one of the threads where we discussed the vision,
> > does the user want to execute an application or what he/she wants is
> > to read the pdf?
>
> that does not make the application a part of the workspace. otherwise EVERY
> application that some group of users relies on is part of the workspace.

here what is part of the workspace is not the application, but the
design/workflow behind it:
applications like gwenview or okular are an example where the document centric
paradigm works quite well, they are a type of app that is
* usually not directly started, but started by opening a file from another
app, being dolphin, krunner, whatever
* as transparent as possible (ie i know i have a pdf open, i don't care having
an application called "okular" open)

this is a paradigm on how a subset of apps should work in order to integrate
well with a workspace, a matter of HIG.
what is in the application, is how well the application follows that and
integrates in the workspace, even tough is not a core part, is a 3rd party app
designed to belong there.

Cheers,
Marco Martin