kde plasma workspace structure

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 17:54:08 UTC 2012

On Saturday 09 June 2012, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Friday, June 8, 2012 22:54:03 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > we have kde-baseapps, and i agree what you've said previously that
> > wewould benefit from having a defined set of "core applications"
>
> Lately I have been doing a lot of thinking with the idea of an
> Operating System in mind rather than with the Workspace because; what
> is a workspace anyway? Alone what does it solve? Makes any sense
> create a Workspace?
>
> The only answer I could think of was that the Workspace only solve a
> particular problem natural to platforms such gnu/linux, open/freebsd

i never seen it that way, or, not considered it from a technical point of view
but rather to a ux point of view, the plasma workspace is a workspace just
exactly as is a workspace what you see as soon you boot uo osx or windows, the
detail of having the whole stack developed by a single company or not doesn't
change anything.

Cheers,
Marco Martin