KDE architecture diagram

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jun 8 13:07:17 UTC 2012

On Friday, June 8, 2012 14:31:14 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Le vendredi 8 juin 2012 14:22:37 Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> > another fun tidbit: did you know that the search & launch (aka SAL)
> > containment was designed for Netbook, but is also used for the Plasma
> > KPart
> > now and is very popular amongst Desktop users? :)
>
> I am aware of that. I fail to see how it relates to our current discussion.

it is relevant because it helps show how the different workspaces (Desktop,
Netbook and Active) work together and influence each other.

that relationship is the same for all three Workspaces.

> Furthermore, I don't care about kittens.

heh :P puppies then. or whatever makes you go "awwwwww"

> > > This comparison is not adapted IMO: the kernel is one single product,
> > > with
> > > many modules. Your comparison would work if we were shipping only one
> > > shell
> > > with many applets.
> >
> > plasma is a single product with many modules. that's one of the core
> > design
> > concepts.
>
> It seems we disagree on what a product is.

ok.. let's try to define that then. i'll offer what i see as a product, as then
perhaps you can do the same and we can compare and hopefully understand each
other better.

Product: a finished whole that is presented in a form that is useful to the
intended audience.

using that as a starting point, then to me the Linux kernel is a product
delivered in a useful form to OS and hardware vendors; they then use the Linux
kernel to make products useful to end users.

the Linux kernel is very different from kernels before it (and even many
today). prior to the Linux kernel, we had operating systems "for servers" or
"for desktops" or "for mobile". hardware evolved and new thinking emerged and
"Linux" is now a product that services super computers, servers, desktops,
mobile, embedded, etc. as a hardware spectrum. there are deltas in the code
for each target, but it's one product.

Plasma is similar. we deliver a UX in form useful for OS and hardware vendors;
they use it to make products useful to end users.

Plasma is different from other workspace UX frameworks before it (and even many
today). prior to Plasma, we have workspaces that are "for desktops" and "for
phones" and "for PDAs" and "for tablets". hardware has evolved and our new
thinking is that the workspace product should service workstations, desktops,
tablets, set top boxes, IVI, phones, etc. there are deltas in the code for
each target, but Plasma is one product.

Desktop, Netbook, Active and whatever else we add to it in the future extends
this product with different device and use case targets. this is analogous to
the arch trees in the Linux kernel.

what this means for the architecture diagram will become apparent when i post
it :)

> But this discussion is going nowhere so let's end it.

how can we come to a common undestanding if we don't discuss?
if we don't come to a common understanding, how can we succeed?

it's worth it.