KDE architecture diagram

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Fri Jun 8 12:31:14 UTC 2012

Le vendredi 8 juin 2012 14:22:37 Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> On Friday, June 8, 2012 13:47:18 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > My goal with this diagram was to illustrate end-user products and how they
> > are grouped under umbrella terms, rather than teams.
>
> then it isn't an architecture diagram, and it shouldn't include things like
> kdelibs.

I started the document under the name was kde-galaxy.svg, but I felt it was a
bit too presomptuous.

> another fun tidbit: did you know that the search & launch (aka SAL)
> containment was designed for Netbook, but is also used for the Plasma KPart
> now and is very popular amongst Desktop users? :)

I am aware of that. I fail to see how it relates to our current discussion.

> > and, I guess, the Active UI part of applications like Okular
> > and Marble (at least to bootstrap the process of having Active-friendly
> > applications)
>
> we are not responsible for Marble's Active UI at all. we invited Marble to
> get involved and they have. we are also not responsible for Kontact Touch
> or Calligra Active. we are big supporters of them and do help as we can,
> but then many of us do that in general because that's what we do in KDE :)
>
> we contributed the Okular UI to Okular itself, and we hope that in future
> more of the apps will have touch UIs maintained by their respective teams
> in future because this does not scale for us. we're doing it now because we
> have to.

Sure.

> btw... every time someone says "I guess..." and then instead of asking a
> question makes a statement of "fact" a kitten dies a horrible, horrible
> death.

> please, stop guessing and start asking. we'll save a lot of pain that way.

Thank you for taking the time to fix my grammar, but I'd like to keep the right
to express myself as I see fit. Furthermore, I don't care about kittens.

> > > Food for thought: How many Linux kernel developers do you know that try
> > > divide the Linux kernel in subprojects for servers, desktops, embedded
> > > systems?
> >
> > This comparison is not adapted IMO: the kernel is one single product, with
> > many modules. Your comparison would work if we were shipping only one
> > shell
> > with many applets.
>
> plasma is a single product with many modules. that's one of the core design
> concepts.

It seems we disagree on what a product is. But this discussion is going
nowhere so let's end it.

Aurélien