KDE architecture diagram

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Fri Jun 8 12:49:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Aurélien Gâteau <agateau at kde.org> wrote:
> [Damn. Just when I say I am out of this discussion, a message arrives I feel
> the urge to answer.]
>
> Le vendredi 8 juin 2012 14:31:08 Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
>> it would be like saying that Calligra, Amarok and Digikam are somehow of a
>> different class compared to KMail because KMail is in the SC. that is not
>> how we've been dealing with applications for years now.
> [snip]
>> if we look at the technical artifacts, it is apparent that Plasma Active is
>> one of the KDE Workspaces, on equal terms to Plasma Desktop and Plasma
>> Netbook (and vice versa), and that work on one improves the others.
>
> I would like to clear one misunderstanding: the fact I placed Plasma Active
> out of the KDE SC does not mean I consider the product to be a second-class
> citizen or that I consider it not to be a fully-fledged Plasma workspace. It
> just means it is released using a different schedule, which is totally fine.
>
> Perhaps the "KDE Workspace" box should be named " KDE SC Plasma Workspaces".

As one of the most active Talkers about KDE on universities that are
not on the IT field, I strongly disagree with that.
I'v been doing talks on a lot of fields ( from Design schools to
History universities ) and the main point of doubt on the atendees is
the naming convention ( over 20 talks this year ),
one girl actually send me an e-mail as follows, translated from portuguese.:

 "Dear tomaz,

I actually like your talk and I do agree on most things that you'v
said, unfortunately, the wikis and pages about KDE are confusing, for
instance, from your talk I know that kde has a collection of software
that are free to use and modify and I don't need to pay for them even
if I install them here on the university, but what are the differences
between KDE, I mean, why is 'KDE' the people and not the programs?
There's really a need for namings such as 'KDE' and 'KDE SC' and
'Plasma' and 'Nepomuk - whatever this means' ? those namings are
confusing, and if you guys really want a broader audience, you should
really make it easy for people that are not on your field to use your
software. I understand that technologies must have a name, I'm also an
scientist after all, but you will not see a thing about
paleobathymetry or stratigraphy in anything that I write if the focus
is people outside of my area of knowledge.

Best Regards,

Ana Cristina"

And I agree with her, she has a very good point.

Tomaz Canabrava