Survey to prepare 'Next Workspace Iteration' sprint

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jun 5 12:57:58 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 11:23:15 Björn Balazs wrote:
> We - as the designers and creators of KDE - will have to understand and
> believe what people say.  And we will use only what makes sense to us to
> create a vision, personas, etc - and at the end software.

you can't make sense of something for which you do not know the validity of.
or put another way: garbage in, garbage out. the survey will generate garbage
because the questions are poorly phrased. i do not think this is due to
incompetence on your part, but to not having a firm understanding of that which
you are trying to research.

secondly, doing this survey will create certain expectations and discussions
in a certain sub-group of our user base that will not be helpful to us.

those two facts taken together are why what you suggest as the outcome is not
possible to achieve in this case given the survey and the audience in
question.

> is: A good vision can be tested by end-users. I had a lot of problems (and
> still are not 100% satisfied) transforming our vision into something I think
> could perhaps be testable.

probably because you are taking the description of a technical vision and are
trying to find out how it maps to user benefit. yes, that is very difficult to
test. it requires a deep understanding of both ends of that equation.

if you want a user benefit vision, that can be supplied.

i think this highlights that you do not, at least right now, have the
necessary qualifications to write a survey on this particular topic. so instead
of jumping ahead of the game and delivering a mess, which if history is
anything to go by i will innevitably end up being tasked with cleaning up,
let's focus on sharing knowledge with each other at this sprint, formulating a
set of common team understandings and then move from there.